It sometimes seems like I’m on a never-ending quest to find the perfect dog chew. It should be healthy and not too hard or brittle—a deer antler did a number on Spot’s gums last year before I saw the blood and took it away. The treat shouldn’t be too soft, though, as I want it to occupy him for more than a few minutes, especially during video chats for work.
With that in mind, I was grateful when PetMatrix recently sent us a bag of its SmartSticks along with results of a survey it did about dogs and their holiday chewing habits.
- 64 percent of dogs have chewed on something they shouldn’t during a celebration
- 46 percent have gnawed on the main dish—the turkey or wishbone!
- 32 percent have chewed a party decoration
- 25 percent have nibbled on a guest’s clothing or shoes
Those are scary numbers considering an unapproved chew could be dangerous and send a dog to the emergency room. Spot doesn’t misbehave in this way, but I was eager to see if SmartSticks fit my criteria—and his, as a treat must be tasty!
We tried the SmartSticks sweet potato and chicken chews, which Spot gave high marks to in two different ways:
- He took the treat and left the room. My dog only does this with treats he deems highly valuable.
- He started chewing it with his butt up in the air (see photo at top). Another sign that Spot loves a treat.
PetMatrix also touts SmartSticks as a healthy, highly digestible alternative to rawhide, as it has a veggie wrapping instead of animal hide. We’ve long avoided the stuff because of the many dangers rawhide poses to dogs.
Do you have any long-lasting chews to recommend? Ones you may be putting into play during Thanksgiving dinner this week? Tell us in the comments!
The post We’re Loving SmartSticks Veggie-Based Rawhide Alternatives appeared first on Dogster.