Editor’s note: Have you seen the new Dogster print magazine in stores? Or in the waiting room of your vet’s office? This article appeared in our October-November issue. Subscribe to Dogster and get the bimonthly magazine delivered to your home.
Get your dog in the fall spirit with these yummy biscuits!
- 3⁄4 cup cooked plain mashed sweet potatoes
- 3 tbsp. chicken or beef broth (or water)
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 ⁄2 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 1 ⁄4 cup finely chopped mint
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together sweet potatoes and broth.
- Add flour, cornmeal, and mint, and stir until combined.
- Knead the dough until it holds together. Roll out half of the dough on a generously floured surface until about 1⁄4-inch thick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut shapes of pumpkins, leaves, or dog bones.
- Transfer to baking sheets; reroll and cut the remaining dough.
- Bake until dried and slightly golden on the bottoms, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool for 1 hour. Store in an airtight container up to 1 week.
Note from Dogster magazine editor Melissa L. Kauffman: Really mash the sweet potatoes, so lumps don’t end up in your dough. I dipped my fingertips in water to add moisture when kneading the dough as it is quite crumbly at first. Also, my biscuits were done at the 30-minute mark; those I left in longer got a little crispy.